Have you experienced pain or aching in your tooth, but are unsure about what is causing it? You may have a faulty tooth that has been infected with bacteria or has started to decay. Luckily, this is an easy fix that can be completed in one simple procedure.
Dr. Ashraf is eager to put an end to your tooth sensitivity or pain with his root canal therapy. Our Waterloo and Kitchener patients will find the relief they need through this highly-effective treatment.
Signs You Need a Root Canal
While dental enamel is solid, general wear and dental accidents can break through the enamel, allowing bacteria to reach the inner tooth chamber. Also known as endodontic treatment, root canal therapy is the most effective treatment when bacteria has infected the inner layers of your tooth.
If you have been experiencing any of the following symptoms, contact our Ontario dental office as soon as possible to avoid extraction before it worsens.
- Extreme pain or discomfort in a particular tooth, especially when you touch it or bite
- Heightened sensitivity to heat, cold, and sugar
- Discolouration on the tooth’s surface
- Redness and swelling of the gums around a particular tooth
- The tooth is broken, chipped, or cracked
Are Root Canals Safe?
Millions of root canals are treated every year. Completed successfully and effectively, we want to assure our patients that your root canal therapy is not harmful at all. We use the Single Tooth Anesthesia™ System to numb the treatment area, making your root canal therapy even more pleasant with needle-less anesthesia. This helps ensure complete safety and comfort throughout your endodontic procedure here at Dr. K Ashraf Dentistry.
The Root Canal Process
While many patients are terrified about the prospect of getting a root canal when they learn they need one, most are quite surprised to find the process is much less painful than the symptoms leading up to treatment.
Here is how Dr. Ashraf and his Waterloo dental team will safely and effectively provide your endodontic treatment:
- First, we will numb the tooth with our STA system. Once numb, a small access hole will be made behind your tooth.
- Then, specialized instruments are used to remove infected tissue, bacteria, and debris from the inner tooth chamber and tooth’s root.
- After the infection has been cleared from the pulp, the inside of your tooth will be comprehensively cleaned, sterilized, and filled with a bio-friendly material called gutta-percha.
- Once the composite has healed, you’ll return to our dentist in Waterloo to have a permanent dental crown placed. For your convenience, Dr. Ashraf offers same-day CEREC crowns. Customized to your smile, these porcelain crowns seal out bacteria and restore your treated tooth to its original strength and function.
- And finally, you’re all done! You may feel some soreness in the area after the procedure, but this should subside reasonably soon. If successful and adequately cared for, the root canal procedure can permanently fix your tooth.
Facing Tooth Sensitivity? Call Dr. Ashraf Today
Dr. K. Ashraf understands that root canal therapy can appear scary, but he will work hard to make sure your experience is a positive one. If you’re experiencing dental sensitivity, pain, or even tooth discolouration, contact our Waterloo-Kitchener office to schedule a free consultation immediately. We’ll find the root cause of your pain and recommend a personalized treatment plan that’ll get you smiling again.